Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Emmy Nomination Ballots: My Opinion

I don't watch that many TV shows. I watch NCIS, New Girl, The Mindy Project, The Middle, Modern Family, Suburgatory, Nashville, The Big Bang Theory, Royal Pains, Necessary Roughness, Rizzoli and Isles and Franklin and Bash and the ill-fated 1600 Penn.
Many people from these shows have submitted themselves for consideration, including many that don't even have a prayer of actually being nominated (here's looking at you guys Breckin Meyer and Mark-Paul Gossalaar).
Then some people don't submit themselves and I just don't understand it. I'm going to rant now. Charlie McDermott (aka Axl Heck from T'he Middle) didn't submit himself while everyone else from the show (Patricia, Neil Flynn, Eden Sher and Atticus Shaffer) and even some guest actors (the guidance counselor Dave Foley and Frankie's sister Molly Shannon) did. I am not pleased. I thought that he was probably the best of the main five in season four, truly coming into his own. Yes, he can still be horrible to others (namely Sue) and pompous, but McDermott is great in the role. I know people have and should have the choice to submit themselves or not, but I find it odd that he opted not to submit himself. So far the only award he's been nominated for is the Independent Spirit Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for the great Frozen River. That being said, I really hope that Sher finally gets nominated; she truly deserves it.
The Middle also didn't submit any of its shows for Best Writing which also baffles me because I like it so much more than Modern Family, so that also disappoints me. Also of note, the cancelled and panned 1600 Penn and the less superior The Mindy Project did.
On the other hand, Nashville has five submissions for Best Writing when I doubt that it will get any. Also, everyone, yes everyone from Modern Family (except Lily) submitted themselves, which only makes McDermott's non-submission even more annoying when he has tons more screen time than some from that show receive. I feel that only Ty Burrell and maybe Julie Bowen, Eric Stonestreet, Nolan Gould and Ed O'Neill deserve nominations. But that's it, no one else, at least in my mind. Also, more deservingly this time, everyone from The Big Bang Theory also submitted themselves, but they are mostly great, though Raj can be super annoying also, but at least he can act and the audience can feel sympathy for him. For Suburgatory, I'm thrilled to see Allie Grant's name on the list. Though she receives no critical attention, I think she's the best one on the show and that's saying something when her competition includes Cheryl Hines and Carly Chaikin.
Please let me know what you guys think. Also, next time, Charlie, you better be on the list!

2 comments:

  1. I am quite annoyed if MF gets nominated for acting though maybe because imo they take spots from other deserving actors. I get upset when my faves or imo people who I think deserve to be nominated but choose to not to submit themselves and then I see whether they had submitted in the past and how the emmy's are to actors and shows from networks. All I know Max Greenfield better get nominated and win against anyone in the supporting comedy category cause lets face it he was robbed last year (see I truly feel like the actors from BBT and MF are overrated as last year MF winning all them acting awards was complete BS). As for other nods I would like to see some Cougar Town and Community get nods just because they deserve some love but for what ever reason the academy hates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely agree with you when it comes to Modern Family, but for the most part, I love The Big Bang Theory. Thanks for posting your opinion, I love getting comments, and yes, Max Greenfield was great and is probably my favorite to win, but that's largely because Charlie McDermott didn't bother submitting himself.

      Delete