Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Oscar Predictions and Wish List

Oscar nominations will arrive soon and, once again, I haven't seen nearly enough serious contenders but I will still voice my opinion. Birdman is the best film I've seen this year and though Michael Keaton is sure to get nominated, I thought Eddie Redmayne gave a better and harder performance for his brilliant portrayal of Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything. He will also surely receive a nomination. Sure, Get On Up was a horrible film, Chadwick Boseman was nevertheless great, though he won't receive a nomiation, it would be nice to see dark horse Ralph Fiennes get one for The Grand Budapest Hotel, which somehow managed to beat Birdman at the Golden Globes or Bill Murray for St. Vincent. On the other hand, though Big Eyes was a good film, Christoph Waltz doesn't deserve a nomination.
For Best Actress, for me, it is a two way race between Felicity Jones for The Theory of Everything and Reese Witherspoon for Wild. Amy Adams was pretty good in Big Eyes and could manage to get her sixth nomination, too bad she doesn't have a chance at winning. Gugu Mbatha-Raw was also great in Belle, but she doesn't have a prayer at getting a nomination.
For the supporting categories, once again, I haven't really seen enough contenders but I thought that both Edward Norton and Emma Stone were great in Birdman and I would love to see them nominated, as they are the top in each category for me. Naomi Watts is also great in St. Vincent though she won't win and as much as I love Meryl Streep, I didn't really think she was Oscar-nomination worthy in Into the Woods. Laura Dern, for Wild, and Melissa McCarthy, for St. Vincent were also pretty good, though neither has a shot.
Just for the record, no matter how many Oscars Gone Girl is nominated for and wins, I will not see the film because I read the book and hated the characters and they do not deserve to become parents, that is just terrifying. They are both crazy and unlikable characters thus, the film will not be viewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment