Monday, December 14, 2020

The Prom (2020)

 I don't really know where to go with this film. Sure, it's packed with talent and the musical numbers are spectacular, but I found the plot relatively old and tired and the cast great and miscast at the same time.

Indianans can't stand different so when Emma (Jo Ellen Pellman) wants to take her girlfriend to prom but of course, the PTA throws a hissy fit and cancels prom and some narcissistic has-been Broadway stars take pity, wanting to get positive attention and join her cause. 

I thought that when Emma arrives at prom just an hour in, I thought the film would be over but there was a twist, the PTA planned a second, secret prom and didn't tell Emma about it which leads us attempting to get her fellow students to become more tolerant and raise awareness for her story and find the funding for another prom. 

Personally, I found Mrs. Greene's (Kerry Washington's) change of heart, from rigid, perfectionist PTA president to accepting her gay daughter (Ariana Debose) in a matter of hours to be unrealistic. And having Broadway stars Dee Dee Allen (Meryl Streep) and Barry (James Corden) be friends with Angie (Nicole Kidman) and Trent (Andrew Rannells) who are in the chorus line, all be friends is also ridiculous. 

Still, despite everything, the acting is solid (despite some awkward pairings) and I'm a sucker for great musical numbers and this film contained several, I just wish this film was better to match the talent in it. Grade: B

Side Notes:

-The pairing of Meryl Streep and Keegan-Michael Key (as the high school principal) was predictable and while they had good chemistry, the age difference was not something I could get behind and nearly threw up for the first kiss.

-I think Andrew Rannell's Trent would make a natural drama teacher. 

-I can't believe that there hasn't been a musical on Eleanor Roosevelt's life yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment