Saturday, July 16, 2022

Cyrano (2021)

 Pros: Honestly, the performances were truly the only solid (mostly) item in this film until the flash forward, when finally, I was interested. Sure, the dialogue was good and clever, with tons of brilliant rhymes, but this film just couldn't keep my interest, until the ending.

Cons: The accents were all over the place, which was super annoying and despite the lush cinematography and choreography, it was boring, mundane film about such vain characters and, until the end, the plot was very paint by the numbers. 

Recommend: Probably not

Grade: B

Side Notes:

-Peter Dinklage and Haley Bennett are delightful as the leads with Kelvin Harrison, Jr in great support.

-Harrison has just been everywhere the past several years, though I have to admit, so far, his best performance is in 2019's Waves, a truly remarkable film. I'd watch that one instead.

-Dinklage is a very talented swordsman.

-Roxanne's family is seemingly very poor though they still manage to have a servant.

-Cyrano's final words will haunt me: "And I loved my pride." 

-Spoiler alert: he dies at the end meaning Roxanne has lost both loves of her life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment