Monday, January 13, 2014

Downton Abbey: Season Four, Episode Three

This episode was crazy.
Tom Branson (Allen Leech), probably one of my favorite characters left in the show is struggling to fit in, he just doesn't feel like he's fitting in. That nasty maid Edna still wants him and supplies him with a drink of whiskey. I knew where this was heading. I was right. She did sneak into his room and I firmly believe that she put something in his drink so she could take advantage of him easier. Yikes indeed.
But that is nothing compared to what poor Anna (Joanne Froggatt) had to deal with. Sure, the new valet for a visiting guest did like her, but I thought at first Bates (Brendan Coyle) would be the problem. Though, yes, I did predict that someone would get raped, I didn't think it would be Anna, but the new guy just can't believe she's happy with Bates so he rapes her. It is horrible and Anna only tells Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan); she doesn't even wants Bates to know because she doesn't want him to get arrested again. But Bates knows, he's not stupid. He knows, sure Anna can blame her headache for the bruises but she pulled away from his touch. He knows and Mrs. Hughes will be unable to keep it a secret. Everyone knows what is coming up. Anna gets pregnant. My mom took it one step further, she thinks that Anna will die from a blotched abortion. I hope they don't go that route because Anna is one of the few characters I like left on that show. Julian Fellows can't kill her off as well. Still, her becoming pregnant is a foregone conclusion. Bigger yikes for Anna. Froggatt was brilliant, playing the aftermath of a horrid event down to a t, shaking and freaking out. She will not be able to keep this from Bates, let's just hope he doesn't get arrested again. I can't stand for something like that to happen again.
Mary (Michelle Dockery) is slowly recovering and even bothers to mention her baby to a new suitor, Lord Gillingham (Tom Cullen). He is nice, a bit on the dull side, but I'd be okay with the two of them getting together. She is still struggling with his death and the new person he made her to be. He made her better but she believes that she was stronger before him. Maybe she was but I liked her nicer better.
Robert (Hugh Bonneville) has finally warmed up to Michael Gregson (Charles Roberts). Sure, he doesn't approve of him for Edith (Laura Carmichael), not that I blame him, but at least he likes Gregson as a person so that's at least something.
Sure, the acting is great, and given the soap opera nature of the show, I'm surprised that it took so long for a rape to occur, especially in a time where women, certainly servants had no rights, but Anna, I just couldn't believe it. It's devastating. The results could be even more devastating. I would have never guessed that Anna would have been the one who got taken advantage of.
As for Tom, I'm disappointed and frustrated. I did want him to get a love interest, but never that crazy maid. Oh well, hopefully that one won't go where I'm thinking. He impregnates her so she can also move up in the world. Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment