Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Oscar Nomination Predictions and Wish List

Though I have not seen many films this year, I still have seen some major contenders.
12 Years a Slave is certainly, without a doubt, the best film of the year. It fully deserved the Golden Globe it was just awarded on Sunday and I pray that it will win Best Picture. American Hustle is another worthy contender. It is another fine film, but it is not as powerful nor as important as 12 Years a Slave. Fruitvale Station is a little film that the Academy will probably ignore, but that doesn't mean it should. Michael B. Jordan and Octavia Spencer turn in great performances. In weaker years, they would and could receive nominations.
For Best Actor, Chiwetel Ejoifor is absolutely brilliant as Solomon Northrup in 12 Years a Slave. He will hear his name called tomorrow morning. I wouldn't mind hearing Christian Bale, Forest Whitaker and Michael B. Jordan as well, but I know I won't. Even Steve Coogan was good in Philomena.
For Best Actress, Emma Thompson and Judi Dench, in Saving Mr. Banks and Philomena respectively, are great, turning in steady performances though they lack the flair that Amy Adams brings to American Hustle. She might just earn her first nomination for Best Actress, getting her out of the supporting category.
For Supporting Actor, I know Tom Hanks probably won't be nominated but he was a great Walt Disney nevertheless. Bradley Cooper should hear his name and he deserves to as he was better in American Hustle than he was in last year's excellent Silver Linings Playbook. Michael Fassbender also embodied pure evil in 12 Years a Slave.
For Supporting Actress, Jennifer Lawrence has this award in the bag. That doesn't mean she should. Lupita Nyong'o is also deserving. Oprah Winfrey and Octavia Spencer were utterly brilliant in The Butler and Fruitvale Station respectively. I would like them to be nominated.
Now, that is just my wish list and what I would like to hear tomorrow morning. I doubt that I will hear most of what I just mentioned but I can always wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment