Thursday, February 1, 2018

Get Out (2017)

Okay, I know I might be alone in this and certainly the Oscars and all the other major awards don't agree with me, but I didn't like this film at all.
That being said, Jordan Peele proved himself as there are some scenes that reminded me of Hitchcock especially focusing on the teacup. However, it is also my least favorite genre, horror.
This is nothing like Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Sure, the basic premise is the same, Rose Armitage (Allison Williams) brings Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya), who is African American home for the weekend to visit her parents, Dean and Missy (Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener) who are incredibly wealthy. But things take a twisted turn almost immediately as the family's servants just act oddly and it goes downhill from there.
The film has a bloody and unexpected ending and yes, I was desperate to find out what was going on. As it turns out, Dean's father developed a method where a mini-brain transplant would take place and the African Americans are basically just shells of a human being, which is beyond wrong. And Chris takes them all down. But I know that he feels guilty, you can see it in his eyes but he did what he had to do to survive.
While the film has a good slow burn, some scenes were cut too short and the acting wasn't as great as everyone says it is. Though Kaluuya did well, I can't believe all the awards he is nominated for. Honestly, I thought Lil Rel Howery, who portrays Chris's friend, Rod was probably the best, after all, he turns out to be the hero and works for the TSA.
Despite my dislike of the film, I do hope that Jordan Peele continues directing and writing films as this shows promise and Hollywood needs a fresh voice in Hollywood. Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment