Friday, May 6, 2022

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

 I finally watched this film. Beware, spoilers ahead.

Pros: This film is a classic for a reason. Though it is gruesome and painfully tragic, everything about this film screams realism, from the elaborate set to carefully coordinated battle scenes and the gritty performances. Despite the weak points in the plot, this screenplay is still quite solid as there were just so many details to make sure come together beautifully. There were also some twists, including having another James Ryan (Nathan Fillion) being located first, before the one they were looking for. The cast is also top-notch and each are brilliant, truly inhabiting their roles.

Cons: I did have a few issues with the screenplay. While I do believe that a mother could easily lose three sons to the war, I find it hard to believe that all would die seemingly at once, and this whole time I was expecting James Ryan (Matt Damon) to die, when it is the lead, the captain John Miller (Tom Hanks) who dies, laying down his life so James's mother doesn't have to bury her remaining son. So even I managed to be surprised. I went into this film thinking that Private Ryan died, so I was shocked. And yes, they made Private Ryan was quite noble, refusing to take the easy way out, not leaving his post, despite the orders.

Recommend: Despite the grim body count, yes.

Grade: A-

Side Notes:

-The excellent supporting cast includes Paul Giamatti, Edward Burns, Tom Sizemore, Adam Goldberg, Barry Pepper, Ted Danson, Bryan Cranston, Vin Diesel (who tragically dies trying to save some kids who are never seen again) and Dennis Farina.

-Other than the young French girl, I don't think females uttered any lines in this film.

-Some soldiers wear wedding rings; others including Captain Miller does not.

-No wonder Miller understood the poet, he teaches English composition.

-So many die upon the Normandy landing that the tide is red.

-The men barely eat, drink, sleep or go to the bathroom during the course of this film.

-Though I am largely a pacifist, even I clapped when Jackson (Pepper) took out the German sniper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment