Monday, February 3, 2014

Downton Abbey, Season Four, Episode Six

I was right!
Edith (Laura Carmichael) is indeed with child and is falling apart. Not that I blame her. This is the 1920s in Britain and she's unmarried. Gregson (Charles Roberts) is nowhere to be found. Even his business has already sent someone to look for him. Edith has told no one about her secret but of course, her mother, Cora (Elizabeth McGovern) knows that something is wrong, but doesn't quite know what.
Also, my second part of the prediction might not come true, but there were some interesting lines said by Tom (Allen Leech). He muses at the dinner table to Violet (Penelope Wilton) that he could never get another Earl's daughter to love him. I wasn't paying the most attention to that scene because I was laughing too hard. Yes, my bizarre prediction might come true, though I want the characters to be happy, but maybe they just aren't meant to be happy. Also, Tom is still seriously considering going to America. I hope he doesn't.
Mary (Michelle Dockery) is also dealing with a new rival, in the form of Charles Blake (Julian Ovenden). He is in charge of inspecting grand estates to see if they still have a place in society. The two get along like cats and dogs, yet, I think he could be the second Mr. Mary Crawley. Only time will tell.
Downstairs, Alfred (Matt Milne) has left for the Ritz, and Daisy (Sophie McShera) isn't taking it well. Anna (Joanne Frogatt) and Bates (Brendan Coyle) are continuing to mend their relationship and, for now at least, Bates hasn't talked about killing the guy. They still have a long way to go, but at least things are improving. Thomas Barrow (Rob James-Collier) continues to blackmail the new lady's maid, Baxter (Raquel Cassidy) into telling him everything. She doesn't want to do that all the time, but somehow Thomas got her the job, so she must tell him stuff.
Rose (Lily James) invites the jazz band to celebrate Robert's (Hugh Bonneville) birthday and it actually goes over well. Even Carson (Jim Carter) warms up to Jack Ross (Gary Carr), despite him being African American. The upstairs guests also warm up, though they do have shocked expressions on their faces at first. Robert even insists on paying for the whole thing, despite it being his present. The episode ends with Mary catching Rose and Jack in a tight embrace, wondering what to make of it.
I still don't like how the show is handling the Edith pregnancy situation. Hopefully something major will finally happen next week. Also, I found it interesting that in a review I read last week, the reviewer believed Edith had obtained an abortion. I got mad about that whole thing.
I'm glad that Mary is sort of moving on from Matthew, though she still has a long way to go. Tom, on the other hand, shows no interest in finding someone else. I suppose things are different for men. I do wish they'd find other stuff to do with Rose and most of the kitchen staff. The stakes just aren't as high as they have been in the past and the plot lines seem to be stretching. Problems aren't as important this year, though I can't stop watching. For the next weeks, it will have to wait until Monday morning because the Olympics start on Friday, and they trump everything else on TV. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment