Saturday, September 16, 2023

Blue Valentine (2010)

 Pros: Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling disappear into their deeply flawed characters Cindy and Dean respectively. These are real people with typical, grungy jobs. She's an ultrasound technician; he's currently a house painter though his real passion is caring for Cindy and their young daughter, Frankie. The feel of the film is also completely authentic and ever so rare in Hollywood these days.

Cons: So, while I love a love story, this is also the story of how they fall apart. I'd divorce my husband if he shows up at my office, drunk. However, my main issue is Cindy's previous love life. She breaks up with Bobby (Mike Vogel) or at least gives him the cold shoulder before she hooks up with Dean so I don't understand why Bobby is such an asshole and beats up Dean. It is no longer his concern as to who Cindy dates. Maybe I'm missing something, but that whole thing just seemed odd to me. There were definitely some plot holes that needed to be addressed.

Recommend: Maybe, depends on the person

Grade: B

Side Notes:

-The doctor Cindy works for Dr. Feinberg (Ben Shenkman) recommends her for a new, better job and one of his reasons is that he, too, has a crush on her.

-Cindy's father (John Doman) is a wretched human being, calling his wife's dinner slop. I would never trust him with a small child.

-Frankie may or may not be Dean's biological child.

-I find it hard to believe that Cindy started having sex at thirteen and had more than twenty sexual partners before Dean. 

-Smoking is disgusting. I would never date, much less marry a smoker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment