Thursday, January 12, 2012

Drive

This is a film that the critics loved, while I hated the film. Now, to be fair, I was mad going into it, because of the ticket price, (apparently, at some theater's the matinee prices end at 3:00 in the afternoon, but that's a whole other story). Ryan Gosling gives a serious, but one-note performance as the main character who is never named. He is a stunt driver by day, and at night, he is the getaway car while unknown and most likely illegal actions are occurring. He is not on anyone's side, he merely drives. Then there is his sweet, waitress neighbor, Irene (a good Carey Mulligan, though the role gives her little to do). Then there is Albert Brooks who plays the villian, but, honestly I forget most of his performance, which is never a good sign.
The dialogue is at times, painful and nothing can save this film, not the interesting music or beautiful cinematography, and Ryan Gosling doesn't even take his shirt off, which would have slightly redeemed the film for me. And last part of the film is horribly bloody, too bloody, and once again, I felt as though I had wasted my time, and had nothing to show for it, which I hate. Still I find I can't give the film any longer than a C.

No comments:

Post a Comment