Saturday, January 14, 2012

Golden Globe Predictions

Here is my take on Golden Globe Predictions:
It is very incomplete because I simply have not seen a number of the films.
Best Actor (Drama): George Clooney The Descendents, Leonardo DiCaprio J. Edgar, Michael Fassbender Shame, Ryan Gosling The Ides of March, Brad Pitt Moneyball
My Pick: Brad Pitt in Moneyball
Why: Though I'm not fond of Pitt as a person, he was great in this film, and it is one of my favorites of the year. I thought Ryan Gosling was also amazing in The Ides of March so if he wins (though that is horribly unlikely) I won't get mad. George Clooney is another of the favorites to win, and though he was great in The Descendents, I thought he was so much better in Up in the Air, and I have yet seen J. Edgar and Shame (and will probably never see Shame just because of its rating).
Best Actress (Drama): Glenn Close Albert Nobbs, Viola Davis The Help,  Rooney Mara The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Meryl Streep Iron Lady, Tilda Swinton We Need to Talk About Kevin
My Pick: Viola Davis in The Help
Why: This is somewhat easy for me, as I have only seen one film, Viola Davis in The Help, and she was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but feel that Emma Stone was also a huge part of the film, and yet Viola Davis is getting all of the nominations and they are not undeserved but Emma also heavily carried the film and was great.
Best Actor (Comedy or Musical): Jean Dujardin The Artist, Brendon Gleeson The Guard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt 50/50, Ryan Gosling Crazy, Stupid, Love, Owen Wilson Midnight in Paris
My Pick: either Joseph Gordon-Levitt in 50/50 or Ryan Gosling Crazy, Stupid, Love
Why: I have not seen The Artist yet (and I'm not happy about it) so I have yet to see the heavy favorite, and both Joseph and Ryan were great in their respective films. Owen Wilson was also quite good, but nowhere near as good as Joseph and Ryan were, so I'll be fine if either of them win.
Best Actress (Comedy or Musical): Jodie Foster Carnage, Charlize Theron Young Adult, Kristin Wiig Bridesmaids, Michelle Williams My Week with Marilyn, Kate Winslet Carnage
My Pick: Michelle Williams in My Week with Marilyn
Why: She disappears under Marilyn's skin. It is easily one of the best, if not the best, performance of the year, she also puts Kristin Wiig's performance to shame. Kristin was funny in Bridesmaids and was completely absorbed as Annie, but was nowhere near as great as Michelle was. I have not seen the other two movies involved.
Best Supporting Actor: Kenneth Branaugh My Week with Marilyn, Albert Brooks Drive, Jonah Hill Moneyball, Viggo Mortenson A Dangerous Method, Christopher Plummer Beginners
My Pick: Kenneth Branaugh in My Week with Marilyn
Why: I have not seen the favorite Christopher Plummer, so I can't judge him yet. I can barely remember Albert's performance in Drive, so he's also out, so that leaves Jonah's and Kenneth's performances, and they were both great, but I'll give the edge to Kenneth who has always been great.
Best Supporting Actress: Berenice Bojo The Artist, Jessica Chastain The Help, Janet McTeer Albert Nobbs, Octavia Spencer The Help, Shailene Woodley The Descendents
My Pick: Octavia Spencer in The Help
Why: Though Shailene was also quite good in The Descendents (and was probably the best thing about that film) and Jessica was also sensational in The Help, I give the edge to Octavia, though her role could have been expanded so much in the film as compared to the book but she was still great and gave the film the much needed comic relief while being dead serious at the same time.
Best Film (Drama): The Ides of March, Moneyball, Hugo, The Descendents, War Horse, The Help
My Pick: either The Ides of March or Moneyball
Why: These are both great movies so it's a toss up as to which one I'd prefer to win. The Help and The Descendents are also excellent, but The Ides of March and Moneyball were better.
Best Film (Comedy or Musical): The Artist, Bridesmaids, 50/50, My Week with Marilyn, Midnight in Paris
My Pick: film-wise it's My Week with Marilyn, but I don't consider that film either a musical or comedy, so as a result I choose 50/50
Why: This film was very good and was quite funny though it was still a bit too serious, it is still the better choose of Bridesmaids (much better) and Midnight in Paris, which was also great, but 50/50 was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment